"Thriving through great people and superior technology"
UKNEST is a forum that promotes the Engineering, Science and Technology interests of UK Naval Defence. The forum is focused on topics that are important across the Ministry of Defence (Royal Navy, Defence Equipment & Support and the Defence Science & Technology Laboratories) and UK Industry. Topics of interest include the sustainability of the work-force, research & development to underpin future naval capabilities and a focal point for engagement with Government initiatives.
Since it was founded in 2005, UKNEST has managed numerous successful initiatives. These have included:
- Employee survey that highlighted the high proportion of older employees and the need for a significant increase in graduates
- Very successful undergraduate scholarship scheme that provides industrial mentoring, opportunities for work-placements and financial support for studies
- University Career Officer briefing, that was opened by the Minister for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Baseline technology road-map for future capabilities
- Establishing a thriving FutureNEST community based on graduates within the sector
- Representation on the Marine Industries Leadership Council and Defence Growth Partnership with leading roles on the Skills, Science & Technology and Supply Chain Working Groups
UKNEST Campaign Plan
UKNEST has three active Working Groups focusing on various facets of the UK Naval intellectual capital these are:
These Working Groups are supplemented with additional teams when appropriate, such as for the development of this website.