Terms & Conditions & Privacy Statement 2019
- Competition details form part of these Terms and Conditions.
- The competition is managed by representatives from UKNEST (United Kingdom Naval Engineering Science and Technology).
- Entry is open to persons under the age of 18 who are resident in the UK at the date of their entry.
- Submissions into the competition must be made by a member of school staff over the age of 18 on behalf of entrants. No information relating to persons under the age of 18 should be submitted. We take no responsibility for information relating to persons under the age of 18. Please do not submit a design which you think will make a child identifiable.
- No entrant may enter more than one design to the competition.
- Persons over the age of 18 including teachers / parents / guardians may not create a design or participate on behalf of a student.
- Where an entrant has been found to be in breach of any of the Terms and Conditions of this competition we reserve the right to disqualify that entrant and require the return or reimbursement of any prize even where a prize has been awarded.
- Entries that are incomplete, incomprehensible, illegible, damaged or otherwise deficient or indecipherable will not be valid and will be deemed void. We reserve the right to reject any entries that are incomplete. We also reserve the right to reject entries that are unlawful, indecent, racist, inflammatory, defamatory or which we consider to be otherwise harmful.
- We accept no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected entries, including but not limited to where this occurs due to technical disruptions, network congestion, loss in service of online entry mechanisms, computer error in transit or any other reason. We cannot enter into correspondence with entrants who experience difficulties with entering online.
- Whether any eligibility requirement has or has not been met is always at our sole discretion and we may require evidence or confirmation from entrants that the eligibility requirements have been met before awarding prizes.
- Entries made online using methods generated by a script, macro or the use of automated devices will be void. The use of any automated entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permits any person to enter any competition repeatedly is prohibited.
- Entries will only be accepted if submitted via the competition website detailed. They may not be emailed or submitted elsewhere and assumed to have been entered into the competition.
- No confirmation of submission will be sent separately, other than that which may be provided upon successful upload of the competition entry to the appropriate website.
- The prizes are as stated, are not transferable to another individual and no cash or other alternatives will be offered.
- The winner(s) is (are) responsible for their own expenses and arrangements not specifically included in the prizes, including any necessary travel to and from the point of collection of the prize(s). No additional, further or other costs or expenses are included in the prizes.
- The winner(s) is (are) responsible for their own expenses and arrangements for any necessary travel to and from any other event related to this competition.
- Prizes are subject to availability and the prize suppliers’ terms and conditions.
- Third party suppliers of prizes may also often stipulate their own terms, conditions or restrictions and all prize winners will be bound by these. The organisers shall have no liability in relation to any prize provided by a third party provider.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to amend or alter the terms of the competition at any time and reject entries from entrants not entering into the spirit of the competition.
- In the event of a prize being unavailable, the organisers reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of broadly equivalent value.
- The winner(s) agree(s) to the disclosure of their school/educational establishment and will co-operate with any other reasonable requests relating to any post-winning publicity. You agree that we shall have the right to use all the resulting publicity materials in any media and in any manner we see fit.
- No fees shall be payable to any entrant in relation to the use of publicity materials.
- By entering this competition all entrants:
- Assign to us all rights (including present and future copyright) in their entry and their publicity materials in all media (including, without limitation, the internet) and whether in existence now or created in the future;
- Agree not to assert any moral rights in respect of their entry and the publicity materials (wherever and whenever such rights are recognised) against the organisers;
- For the avoidance of doubt, all rights in the name and title of the competition and the format rights for the competition are the sole property of the organisers and we may exploit the same at our absolute discretion.
- We may require that the Terms and Conditions applicable to this competition (including these general terms) be signed by the prize winner’s parent or legal guardian before the prize is awarded.
- If for any reason the competition is not capable of running as planned as a result of any (including but not limited to) technical failures, unauthorised intervention, computer virus, mobile network failure, tampering, fraud or any other causes beyond our control which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of a competition, we reserve the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition and judging related to the competition and/or to disqualify any individual who (whether directly or indirectly) causes (or has caused) the problem.
- Obtaining time off from study or related activities to participate in this competition and/or collect a prize will be the sole and absolute responsibility of each entrant.
- The organisers may vary the terms of, or terminate, the competition at any time at their absolute discretion if reasonably required to do so. Termination or variation of the competition is without liability to any contestant or other person. Prizes may not be awarded if the competition is terminated.
- Reasonable efforts will be made to contact the winning school(s). If the winning school(s) cannot be contacted, or are unable to comply with these Terms and Conditions, the organisers reserve the right to offer the prize to the runner(s)-up selected by the same judges, or not to award them at all.
- Confirmation of prizes awarded will be made by email to the winning school(s) at the contact email provided at entry.
- Failure to respond to this email notification, or failure to meet the eligibility requirements may result in forfeiture of the prize(s).
- Where applicable, the decision of the judges is final based on the criteria set out in the promotion and no correspondence will be entered into over this decision.
- In the event of a discrepancy between these Terms and Conditions and the details in the promotional material (or any other Terms and Conditions provided/referred to at the time of entry), the details of the promotional material (and any other terms and conditions provided/referred to at the time of entry) shall prevail.
- All prize winning schools will be notified that they have won a prize by email within twenty eight (28) days of the closing date of the competition.
- Prizes may only be sent to an address within the UK. Should a prize winner’s contact details change it is their responsibility to notify us.
- Once a prize winner has been notified arrangements will be made with their organisation for the presentation/delivery/collection of their prize, as agreed between the organisers and the winners.
- A list of winning schools will be available by writing to the competition organiser or appropriate website no earlier than six weeks, unless otherwise stated, after the close of the competition. Only the name and county of the winning schools will be disclosed.
- We make no representation or warranty in relation to prizes provided and to the fullest extent permitted by law we shall have no liability to you in relation to any prize, its fitness for purpose, merchantability or otherwise. We reserve the right to disqualify entrants from entering this competition or prize winners from receiving their prizes where any such person engages in unsafe, illegal, unsociable or inappropriate behaviour.
- All stated prize values are at the supplier’s recommended retail price in pounds sterling and are, to the best of our knowledge and belief, correct at the time of printing. The organisers take no responsibility for any fluctuations in prize values.
- A failure by us to enforce any one of the Terms and Conditions in any instance will not give rise to any claim or right of action by any entrant or prize winner, nor shall it be deemed to be a waiver of any of our rights in relation to the same.
- Except as specifically set out herein and to the maximum extent permitted by law, all conditions, warranties and representations expressed or implied by law are hereby excluded.
- To the fullest extent permitted by law, we hereby exclude and shall not have any liability to any entrant or prize-winner in connection with or arising out of this competition howsoever caused, including for any costs, expenses, forfeited prizes, damages and other liabilities, except that nothing herein shall operate so as to limit or exclude our liability for personal injury or death caused by our negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, this shall also apply in respect of any prize provided by a third party provider.
- In the event that any provision of these Terms and Conditions are held to be illegal, invalid, void or otherwise unenforceable, it shall be severed from the remaining provisions which shall continue in full force and effect.
- These Terms and Conditions shall be construed in accordance with and governed by the laws of England and Wales.
PRIVACY STATEMENT – 2019
UKNEST is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This privacy notice applies to the UKNEST website and any information that is provided by applicants for the Naval Engineering competition for schools.
We may amend this privacy notice at any time by posting the amended version on this site.
This Privacy Notice is compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018.
Who we are
The UK Naval Engineering Science & Technology (UKNEST) is an Unincorporated Association within the terms defined by HMRC CTM 41305. The primary purpose of UKNEST is to provide a forum for the UK’s professional naval engineering, science and technology community to address issues of common concern, foster specific professional development needs, and provide a focal point for interaction with, and influencing the wider Government and industrial community.
Member organisations operate within a Corporate Compliance Policy. A full list of Members is available at www.uknest.org.
Membership of UKNEST is open to public and private organisations with substantial interests in the naval engineering, science and technology intellectual base, and significant UK professional assets.
Personal information we collect
Personal Information is information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
We collect personal information from you when you apply to the Naval Engineering competition for schools 2019. This information includes:
- E-mail address
How we use your personal information
The information provided will be used for the following purposes:
- As part of the assessment and award processes for applications to the Naval Engineering competition for schools..
- To contact you throughout the duration of the Naval Engineering competition for schools scheme (generally between March and December).
How we might share your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to Member organisation of UKNEST as part of the Naval Engineering competition for schools assessment and award processes. We will minimise the amount of personal information we disclose to that which is directly relevant and necessary to accomplish the specified purpose. We do not sell, rent or otherwise disclose your personal information to third parties for their marketing and advertising purposes.
Your choices about how we use your personal information
You have choices about how we use your personal information to communicate with you, to send you marketing information, how we provide you with customised and relevant advertising, and whether you want to stay signed into your account.
Ways you can access, control, and correct your personal information
We respect your right to access, correct, request deletion or request restriction of our usage of your personal information as required by the GDPR. We also take steps to ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate and up to date.
- You have the right to know what personal information we maintain about you
- We will provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format on request
- If your personal information is incorrect or incomplete, you have the right to ask us to update it
- You have the right to object to our processing of your personal information
- You can also ask us to delete or restrict how we use your personal information within the terms of the GDPR.
How long we keep your personal information
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to complete the Naval Engineering competition for schools assessments and awards. The information for successful candidates will be retained throughout the period of the award.
How do we protect your Personal Information
We have implemented technical and organisational measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorised access, use, alteration or disclosure. However, the Internet is an open system and we cannot guarantee that unauthorised third parties will never be able to defeat those measures or use your personal information for improper purposes. We ask that you do your part by maintaining in strict confidence any computer passwords you use to access the Internet or our website.
The UKNEST website is fully Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificated. During the assessment process, your information may be shared using proprietary systems (e.g. Dropbox [https://www.dropbox.com/business/trust/compliance] and WeTransfer [https://wetransfer.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/201270873-Security-Privacy]) that have appropriate Information Security Management procedures and standards.